Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Smoothie Making Power

I am a smoothie fanatic!! I drink one almost every morning (unless I am running behind or on the rare occasion I sleep in) and find it a great way to get my post recovery workout goodies in.   It's important to refuel with carbs, fats, and of course muscle building protein post workout! Here are 2 of my favorite mixtures you can try and whip up on your own.  I am still experimenting with other fruits and the best part is you can customize it however you like.  Any blender or food processor will work best, unless you have a Vita Mix in which case I'm coming over!! 

Berry Blast Power Smoothie
(measurements are approximate depending on thickness preference) 
1 cup coconut water (I use Zico or Vita Coco)
1/4 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
1 cup frozen or fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries, black or blueberries - smoothie will be thicker is they are frozen)
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1 tsp. Omega 3 oil 
1 handful of kale or fresh spinach (optional) 

Add water, milk, and oil, (greens is adding) to blender and then frozen or fresh berries and liquify or puree.  Add in protein powder and stir or mix til creamy.  Makes 1-1.5 servings.  1 serving about 200 calories.  

Chocolate Decadence Smoothie
1-1.5 cups of non fat chocolate soy milk (I use Silk Light)
1 cup frozen dark cherries
1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder 

Add milk and fruit to blender. Liquify and puree. Add in scoop of protein powder and blend.  Makes 1 -1.5 servings.  1 serving about 300 calories.   


A lot of recipes call for banana; I omit mine because I usually have 1 pre-run and it's adds some extra carbs that I don't need after with all the other carbs from the berries. 

Any recipes you want to share?  Add to the comments box below!! 

Xo,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment