Monday, July 30, 2012

Confessions of a Product Junkie


Confession: I am a product junkie! I love beauty products and especially those that work!  You won’t find a huge stockpile around my house, except for free hair products, but it’s mostly my hubby’s, but what I have is a good stock of products that I have found work best for my skin and hair.   I have dealt with adult onset acne in my late 20’s, along with some crazy hormonal stuff that made my hair thin and fall out of my head and grow like a gorilla on my legs.  I have tried it all: Pro Activ, good old benzoyl peroxide, over the counter hair serums, only to have little to minimal success.  I tried a ton of different product brands over the years but never really loved any of them. So here are my favs that work to keep me looking as good as I can. Keep in mind that if you have thicker, more luxe and beautiful hair and gorgeous, already glowing skin, these may not work for you.

Here is my tried-but-true list of my personal favorites:

Peels! I was recently introduced to peels about two years ago. I have tried glycolic, the Obagi Blue Radiance, and have done the Vi Peel several times.  I truly love them and now I am a sadist saying, bring it on! The more powerful, the better! I have shed like a lizard for 7 days but in the end, my skin is as smooth as a you-know-what.  I think I am moving up from the VI peel to a customized one at my medi spa, very excited!  I recently regularly added into my weekly regimen a Lactic acid peel by a local MD company called Makeup Artist’s Choice.   Love it!

Medical grade skincare - I began using a product line called Obagi a little over a year ago and fell in love.  It truly is the first skincare line that really made a noticeable difference in my skin, while adding protection at the same time.  I started with their NuDerm line and have now transitioned to their Vitamin C line, with some Nu Derm mixed in.  I use Retin A every night and their Medical grade SPF 55 sunscreen EVERYDAY as my moisturizer. It’s light, doesn’t break my skin out every, and gives me sun protection year round.  Other favorite products in my daily skincare regimen is a Vitamin C serum by Ramona Cline skincare that I use in the am on my face, neck, and chest and Replenix Eye Cream that I try to apply twice daily.   Vitamin C is so good for your skin and fills it with antioxidants and keeps it fresh and from looking lack luster. I also wash my face every night, hit my Retin A, and use a mineral mask and my lactic acid peel weekly (not on the same day).  I figure if I’m always smiling then I have to keep at work on those smile lines.

Salon Hair care - I used a plethora of drug store crap on my hair for years before I married a hair stylist and learned what a difference good products make.  I use exclusively Redken and Pureology; partly because that’s who he works for and mainly because it works!! They make a ton of products that turn my flat, lifeless hair into something that looks like Rapunzel (not really, but you get the point).  I personally favor their Extreme line to help protect my hair against the frequent highlighting I get and the daily ponytail that causes some extra breakage.  I use it for hair cleansing, styling, and for color.  Now, if I can just get my hubby to give me some extensions…

Makeup – I am not a one brand fits all kinda gal.  I use different makeup brands for certain seasons and keep it as easy as possible.  I use a Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer in the summer and a mineral foundation by Illuminaire in the winter.   I have Cover Girl mascara that costs $5 and Chanel blush that costs $50 – I use what I love and what works for my skintone.   But truthfully, most days I use my moisturizer, a little concealer, lip gloss, a swipe of blush and mascara, and I’m good to go!

Preventative Maintenance – kinda like a car, you gotta stay ahead of the game with maintenance.  I have been waxing for years, have moved on to laser hair removal for some stubborn spots, get my peels regularly 3-4 times a year, whiten my teeth every couple of months, do a protein treatment on my hair daily, and of course exercise regularly as you know!!! Staying ahead of the 8 ball is my motto, and I am not ashamed to admit that once the 40’s roll in, I may fair a hand or two and some injectables if so needed.  Just for maintenance, not facial transformation – let’s be real here.

So stay beautiful, try some new stuff, and if this blog in any way offended you, than you clearly are not vain enough.  Happy Maintaining!!

Xo,
Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment